The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Friday, January 28, 2011

Prayer for the horses.....

Today I saw on my daughters facebook page a post from a friend of hers. She had ask how his horses were, one was barely hanging on and yearling was becoming sick. When I ask her what happened she said they had botulism poisoning from their hay.
I emailed him, telling him who I was and asked about the horses. As of 6:30 this evening he has lost all of his riding horses, 6, and there may be more by now. I do not know how many horses he has.
I have looked on the internet and found several cases of this happening, in 2008, 100 horses died from botulism hay.This can happen in round bales or squares. It can be caused by baling an animal or snake, yes it happens. I have found snakes in our hay, I throw the bale away if I find one! UCK!! Here is a link from the University of Kentucky about botulism. http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/news/2001/Aug/spoilage.htm

So if you all can, please say a prayer for the horses that have passed, those that are still sick and for Bobby and his family. This is a horrible devastating tragedy! I can't imagine losing one horse but 6 or more, makes me cry just thinking about it.
Jane

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so amazingly sad - I can't imagine such a loss. My thoughts are with them.

jane augenstein said...

Kate, I can not imagine it either. After reading some of the info on the internet it's pretty scary to think that this could happen to anyone! I will really be watching my hay from now on.

Thistlebrooms said...

Jane...
I will send my prayers out to him & the other horses out there in pain.
Such a terrible loss. I never would have thought that about the hay. There's SO much to learn when you take on the responsibility of such Large Beautiful animals. My Heart goes out to them...I could not imagine such a loss...

Thinking Of You
~Marilyn

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Of course, I've never heard of such a thing but it is incredibly sad. I can't imagine how bad these people have to feel. Thanks for posting and I surely will add them to my prayers.

Katharine Swan said...

How horrible! To lose so many at once... My thoughts are with them and the horses. :'(

jane augenstein said...

I just got an email from Bobby. All his horses died save one, a young one that was not on his farm but at his father's. He lost 6 horses in one week! I can not even get my head wrapped around losing this many horses in such a short period of time. It breaks my heart!
One of the horses was sent to Ohio Ag animal testing center at Reynoldsburg. I ask if he would let me know what the test results were and when I hear I will post it.

Jeni said...

wow incredibly sad =( Lots of prayers for your friend as they cope with this.

Leah Fry said...

How horrific to lose them all at once. And one would have no way of knowing until it's too late.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

How sad, my thoughts are with him.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So very terrible and sad!

Is botulism caused by mold spores, too?
We've found dead animals in our hay before. Once, a part of a dead cat!

The big hay scare last summer was a place selling hay infested with blister beetles. A horse only needs to eat about a handful to die a terrible death.

One woman had just adopted two donkeys from the Lucky 13 Donkey Rescue and she had an older horse in his 20's....she only had the donkeys home for 36 hours, and they, and her old riding horse sucumbed to the blister beetle poisoning.
Broke my heart :(

~Lisa

allhorsestuff said...

Jane
I'm terribly sad about this news. Heart rendering.
Praying for all involved ~

JoJo said...

Jane, this breaks my heart. I can't imagine losing even one horse, let alone 6. How horrible. I'm saying a prayer for these poor horses as I type and please, God, keep my horses safe!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

how awful! I'll have read up on that.

gtyyup said...

The same thing happened to a friend of mine last winter...all their riding stock..gone~ Prayers going out to them~

Desert Rose said...

So tragic!!!! aways check hay between flakes for any sign of mold and even sniff it for the mold order. We all get in a hurry and just grab 2 flakes and dump it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails