The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Thursday, April 22, 2010

White Stallion Brands

During the show one of the stallions was unsaddled and lead around the arena so we could see all the brands on him. All the Lipizzaner horses have many brands on them. One on their left jaw "L" for Lipizzan. They also have a brand, numbers on the right side....now I can't remember what the number was for!

On the left side again, the "F" on this horse stands for the stallion line of "Favory" from Kladrub, Bohemia born in 1779. The next brand under that is the dam's bloodline. The hip brand is the Royal Crown of Piber.

Above is a picture of the Royal Crown of Piber, it doesn't show up very well in the picture. This brand tells you that the horse was born at the Piber stud farm in Austria. (This one was the only one in the troupe that had this brand).
Piber is the official breeding farm of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna, Austria and only in Piber is there a complete family tree of every Lipizzaner whose ancestry goes back to the classical founding stallions.

(click on the picture above to better see the information there)
Every Lipizzaner stallion in the world has a two-part name. The first part is always his father's blood line. The 2nd part is his mother's name or a given name. There are only six male Lipizzaner bloodlines (and only 18 bloodlines for mares). That means that every Lipizzaner stallion in the world will have one of only six possible first names.
Very interesting!!!

A picture I took of the inside back of the book that I bought at the show. Lots of good information in it, it was $15 well spent. There is a history lesson in there, the story of how General George S. Patton saved the horses during WW II. Also pictures and story by a soldier named Vito Spadafino.

Cover of the book; it is for sale on their web site www.lipizzaner.com plus a lot of other things and there is more information there.
If you ever get a chance to see them do go, very beautiful to behold!



11 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a version of that book from about 8 or so years ago. Very good. I loved the show I think they are coming back sometime soon.

Reddunappy said...

Thats cool, I didnt know they had so many brands on the purebreds! A lot of history there.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fascinating information. Thanks. I learned some new things about them because of you :-)


~Lisa

Jacque. said...

I saw them and cannot get over the training and the beauty of them!

Tracey said...

Pretty cool info...

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this! Thank you for posting!

Jeni said...

Hi Jane! This is the most interesting thing ever. Brands fascinate me to no end and everything I see one on a horse that I don't recognize I ask about.

Leah Fry said...

Very interesting, especially that they can only have a limited number of first names. That's cool that they give you all that history as well as show off their talents.

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Great post, I saw them a few years ago, and enjoyed it to no end.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Interesting information. I love these horses, they are just so beautiful and well trained. I would love to see them if they ever come around here I will definitely go to the show.

SullieSweeney said...

The number is their foal registry number, I do believe :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails