The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Grits

We had these yummy things for breakfast this morning! Cheesy fried grits! Really good! We had bacon and eggs too but the grits were my favorite. Good thing to eat on a cold morning.
Here is the recipe:
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grits
Slowly stir grits into boiling water; reduce heat to medium-low, cover. Cook 12-14 minutes or until thickened stirring occasionally.
Add:
4 oz. cubed Velveeta cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
dash of garlic power
dash paprika
Stir until cheese is melted, remove from heat put into greased loaf pan. Cool about 20 minutes then turn out onto plate. Let cool to room temperature, put in container and refrigerate.
When ready to eat slice and fry in skillet on medium heat.

I cook this slow so it will brown nicely like pictured. We use olive oil to fry it in; after all olive oil is good for you, right?
Don't put in the refrigerator until it's cool or it will turn watery!

It's almost here! The drawing is tomorrow!!!! I am excited to see who the Golden Pony will go to live with!

Jane

15 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I love grits with a fried egg, butter, cheese, and green chili but I've never had them fried.
Looks yummy!!

Jacque. said...

So, where does one get grits? At the store? hahahaha...really.

jane augenstein said...

Val, they are GREAT fried but it takes time and you cook them slowly so they will crisp nicely!

Jacque, in grocery store in the cereal aisle, in a round box like cornmeal. They are good without the cheese, fried with butter and syrup too!

Katharine Swan said...

Jane, I love grits! Thanks for the recipe! I had never had them until we went to a Cajun breakfast restaurant in town. WOW! They are good there. The instant grits don't compare at all!

Leah Fry said...

I love grits cooked any way. Unfortunately, they are not friendly to my present eating regimen, so I'll have to enjoy them vicariously through you.

I wanna win!!

jane augenstein said...

Katharine, the kind I use are quick grits but since they are cook for awhile, I guess they aren't instant! LOL You can also add bacon bits and sometimes I add a dash of Tabasco sauce, yum!

Leah,Oh, so sorry you can't eat them, they are yummy.
I wish everyone could win tomorrow!

dexmangoldens said...

Yummy!! I've had grits before and they are good!! Can't wait til you call me tomorrow to let me know that I am the proud owner of a golden pony!! :)

Tracey said...

Anything with cheese added has to be good! We had cornmeal and scrambled eggs this morning...eggs straight from the hen house :)

Paint Girl said...

I have never had grits before, they look yummy though!!

jane augenstein said...

Julie, yes, grits are good! But years and years ago I wouldn't eat they for anything! LOL
Good Luck!

Tracey, awwww, fresh eggs! Even better!!!
the good thing with this recipe you can add about anything you want I would say, more cheese would be good too!!! ;-D

cowgirljlynn said...

I want to come to your house for breakfast!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I've never had fried grits ~ I wonder if I can talk Mr. Sonny into making them for us! He makes mush so maybe he will make fried grits! It sounds yummy!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looks good, Jane!

I love grits, but I don't like most cheese, except mozzarella or farmer's cheese. Ok, I know, I'm weird! lol!

Can you make mine without cheese, please?


~Lisa

jane augenstein said...

cowgirljlynn, come over and bring some jelly! LOL

Alice, try them they are really good and if you don't like cheese just leave it out. Easy to make!

Lisa, sure I will, you come to Ohio and bring some of your peaches! We can have peach slushy's and fried grits, without the cheese! heehee Maybe a little butter and maple syrup?

Desert Rose said...

Never had them but those look sooo yummy!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails