The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm still here....I'm just not "here"

Finally the weather has turned to what seems like spring, it will be short lived I am sure.  Mother Nature is like that you know!

I have no new pictures of riding but I have gotten to ride three times; once on Sunday, Monday and yesterday. I have only ridden for about an hour, my legs won't take much more than that. Feels like Gilly must have gotten wider over the winter! Or could it be that I am just out of shape? I fear the latter is probably true. Haven't gotten much exercise except for shoveling snow and poo out of the barn, not the right kind.

I did get a new dressage pad for Gilly, he seemed bothered by the air pad that I have used on him for years. Since his back has changed and the saddle seems to sit better on his back now I found a pad that is very nice.

I stumbled upon this pad in looking for a different saddle, still am not sure I am going to get an all purpose or just keep the dressage. Anyway, read about these and wondered, then talked to a woman who has been showing dressage for 30 years. She said she was given the pad to try and thought it couldn't be as good as they said but when she tried it, she was sold. It's good for the rider and good for the horse.





this is a wonderful pad, I have ridden in the three times and Gilly likes it a lot. The saddle seems to fit much better and I can feel him through the saddle. The other pad was thicker this one is a close contact, I really, really like it! You can throw it in the washer, then hang to dry, the other heaver pad had to be washed with the hose and it took quite some time to dry.
Go to the link and see the videos and read about these pads, many to chose from both English and Western and really they aren't that expensive.

Check out Thin Line Riders to see some of the top riders who use these pads, pretty impressive list. I am more impressed with how Gilly moves out better and feels under me than anything. It has made a difference.

Hopefully I can ride tomorrow, I wanted to today but had things to do in town. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer, 66 here today and the weather forecast for tomorrow is 68 and breezy. Poor Gilly though, he has his heavy winter coat on, we will just take it easy.

Hope everyone else is getting in some ride time! I am thinking SPRING!!!

6 comments:

Jeni said...

It sure has been nice here too, except the wind is HORRIBLE !!

Thanks for the product review, I'm always looking for a good pad.

Enjoy this weather =)

photogchic said...

I love ThinLine pads...I also love HAF pads made in Italy for trails and heavy arena work...they breath nicely whereas Thinline is more for concussion absorption.

JoJo said...

No ride time here although the snow is finally melted....until it snows again. We set a new record high yesterday of 76 and I was out with the "girls" trying to comb some of the mud from their hides. Chili had a ball and ended up resting her head in the crook of my arm.

Right after I pulled in and was still putting on my boots, Sam came home and spent two hours with Pepper and me, showing me how to train her.....for FREE! I've talked with him about training her for two weeks this spring, once the ground dries out a bit so we don't have to worry about falling.

I'm so darn anxious to get back in the saddle again. It's been too long.

Desert Rose said...

Glad you found something that works for Gilly!!! Take your time getting your horse legs back...!

Leah Fry said...

I rode yesterday for the first time since I can't remember when. Yeah, we're both out of shape.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've not been around blogville much either. Not due to riding, though, lucky you!

I like the new header, too. Happy muddy equines :)

~Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails