The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Teacher............

Kim took this picture of me and Gilly walking across the arena a couple of weeks ago. She came over today and brought her camera card so I could upload the pictures she had taken. As a matter of fact she took all the pictures in this post. Thanks Kim!!!
I love this picture, looking at it I can't believe that the skinny little horse I brought home to the farm more than 4 years ago turned out to look this beautiful! And that he grew so tall, he is the tallest horse I have ever owned.
This is our new dressage teacher, Vicki. She was working Gilly around in the arena for the first time. Gilly hadn't had a lesson since last fall. Oh, I've ridden him but not like this. He did do pretty well, but he is not a forward horse so it takes a lot of pushing to get him moving. He will tire a person out just pushing him forward and then there is the way he moves. He is a very lofty horse and it's hard to sit him; well it is for me anyway. Vicki rode him really well. She studied dressage in Germany years ago and had some really good German teachers. Vicki also used to teach modern dance; next month she is going to start yoga/stretching classes and some of us horse women are going to take the class. Working to keep limber during the winter months so when spring gets here we won't be "rusty"...........well, that's the plan anyway!!!
Nice straight back and good leg position.........we are working on me, I think I need more work that Gilly. This is hard for me because one I have a green horse that I am trying to teach and I am not an English type of rider, I always rode western before. So both of us are learning, it's hard but we will work through it. I am do not want to show, just be a good rider and ride him the way he moves.
He remembers all the things we worked on last year...........sometimes I wish I had a place to ride that was covered so it didn't matter if it rained or snowed. A place that the footing was dry but that's not going to happen so we will just take what we get and work through it.
Here we are at the end of the lesson, Vicki, Gilly (who wouldn't pose for the picture) , me and another friend Beverly. Yes, it was pretty chilly that day.
Gilly is thinking, just take me home and feed me, I wanna play with Pokey.
Pokey wasn't allowed to come out because he would disrupt class!!!

6 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Gilly looks so beautiful!

JoJo said...

Wonderful pictures, Jane, and yes, Gilly is so beautiful. He's turned into a fantastic horse.

jan said...

Jane,I love your blog and music. Gilly is so precious. How fortunate you both are to have each other.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Beautiful! I have a little bay filly that I am working with these days...she is only 1 and 1/2 and so much fun! I can only hope she'll grow to be as gorgeous as your guy! (check her out on my blog, I have lots of pics) :)

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Well, he is just a doll ! I am just like you, I don't plan to show, but want to ride well so I chose dressage {I'm pretty much a beginner }. Alot of work, but so worth the skills you gain. Best of luck !

Jacque. said...

As always, beautiful photos of the big handsome boy!!! You are so very fortunate, Jane! So is the Gilly boy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails