The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Monday, June 1, 2009

Riding Bareback with Pictures

Kim got some pictures of me riding bareback yesterday. However the ride wasn't as good as Saturday's ride, I was tired yesterday, but still it was fun! Love the above picture!
What am I doing with my foot??? I kept trying to press my seat bones into Gilly so I would stick to him, must have been really dropping my heels but my toes are sticking out! LOL But then it could be I was trying to get him to turn around my leg and pressing down with my seat bone on this side.
Yes, I am holding onto his mane, trying to keep from bouncing around. I know I will get better at this the more I do it, more practice. I have ridden every day since last Monday and I can see a big difference in Gilly's attitude, it's much better. He isn't being a stinker anymore. We have crossed the creek everyday and not once has he hesitated to cross now. We went past Kim's horse and pony today and he kept on going where I asked him to go, no stopping.

Whoopee! Here we are trotting, this is just too much fun. I still want to try the canter but better get better at the trot first! I think Gilly likes being ridden without the saddle on, he sure is a fun horse!

Trying to get Gilly to look at Kim so she could take our picture but he wanted to rub his head on me. I didn't ride a long time yesterday but today I rode for an hour; just a leisurely ride down the road and back. It was a beautiful day here today, a really nice breeze hardly any flies to bug Gilly so he was happy about that. This morning we did more trailer loading and he did just wonderful, got right in the trailer each time I asked him to. So far we have had the divider opened up, today I tried it with the divider in place and he went in and stayed for a short time. That's OK though I want him to feel confident in there before we try putting up the butt bar and shutting the door. I want to do it right and he won't have any problems with it that way.

Stealing this idea from Lisa.......The End!!!

11 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

Oh, what great pictures! Bravo! I wish I could ride Panama bareback better, but he's so darn little, it's like staying on a balance beam that's jumping around. :o) Maybe later this summer, though, once I've gotten some muscle back in my thighs!

Jacque. said...

ohman...you and Gilly both look happy as clams!!!

Sarah Sullivan said...

Giggle Jane!!1 The End - loove it!! What wonderful pics!! You are so lovely!!! Look at that smile!!
And the horse - well he is just stunning too!! Great pictures!!
Hugs, Sarah

Paint Girl said...

You are looking good! It makes a world of difference, riding everyday, doesn't it?
I wish I could ride Brandy bareback more, she has such a narrow and bony back, it is very uncomfortable!

Dusty Devoe said...

WOW! You look like you were having lots of fun. I haven't ridden bare back to much. But I do like it. Wish we could ride together!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

heheeh! I like your 'End' :)
I'm so happy for you that you and Gilly are having so much fun together riding bareback and trotting. Your joy clearly shows in your face. That is one big smile :)

~Lisa

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I loved the 4th photo the best that smile on your face spoke volumes! Enjoy!
Luanne

Tracey said...

Ride 'm, Cowgirl! You look good up there!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Love the photos! Gilly looks so happy:)

jane augenstein said...

Katharine, Thanks! I didn't know I could ride bareback until I tried it again, on Gilly it's like sitting on a bean bag chair!! LOL just bouncy!!
Jacque, yes, Gilly seems to be very happy and very willing to do what I ask him to do, it's turning into a great partnership!!!
Sarah, thanks!!! ;-)
Paint Girl, thanks, oh, I wish you could ride bareback too, it's so much fun (the boney back wouldn't though!)
Dusty Devoe, oh, it was fun; hey, I wish we could ride together too! What fun we would have!
Lisa, heehee, I stole "the end" idea from you, what a good idea it is too! Yes, Gilly and I are having a great time, working him everyday is really helping.
Luane, thanks, yes, it was a happy day, fun ride!
Tracey, thanks! YeeHaw!!!
Jennifer, thank you, he is a happy boy!

RoeH said...

Misha was right. I love your blog!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails