The adventures of Gilly the rescue horse and his side kick and partner in crime, Pokey the donkey.

~~~


Being with a horse is a journey that never ends. What they have to teach us is amazing; but we must quiet our mind to hear them. ~ jca

*****


Friday, December 12, 2008

Baking Cookies

I have been out of commission for about a week, had a sick husband after Thanksgiving.....bronchitis. Then he was so kind and gave it to me! He went to the doctor and got antibiotics, I went a few days later and both of us ended up taking antibiotics; which neither of us has been on for years and years. No need to haven't been sick. Whatever this was it hasn't wanted to give up; finally though, tomorrow is my last dose of the stuff, it has let up. Thank goodness!!!!

While I was on the mend I decided to clean house???? What possessed me to do that I have no idea but anyway.......after working for two days many things have moved out of this house and went to live at Good Will............yippee! I also burned boxes, papers and other junk that would ignite........gone, all gone! Maybe all that work burned out the sick bug too.

After receiving a letter from a friend telling me how many cookies she had baked for Christmas gifts..........I thought, ahhh, yes it is time for Christmas baking and sugar cookies sounded just too good! YUM! So out came all the things needed to whip up a batch of home made sugar cookies, and yes with real butter too! So I get the butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla all beat up, start adding the flour and what do you know??? I don't have enough FLOUR!!!! To make matter worse neither of my two close neighbors are home; oh, bother, now what???? Well, I do have some oats
I though wonder what would happen if.................I put them in the Vita Mix and turned them into oat flour??? Good idea, right? Well, yes and no..........some of the oats didn't pulverize so there are some whole oats floating around and I didn't beat up enough so the cookie dough is so sticky I can't roll it out. So much for the sugar cookies last night.

Today was grocery shopping day so I got more flour beat another cup of flour into the dough; this dough has been in the refrig over night so it's good and cold. Try to stir in another cup of flour into that; I should have weight lifters arms by now!!! Somehow I think the recipe was a little off on the amount of flour. It said 3 3/4 cups of flour and I added another cup and a half before it would roll without sticking to the rolling pen.

So after supper I got the cookie cutters out and started on the sugar cookies! Rolled the dough out cut mostly crimped edged circles out but just had to do a few horse cookies............yes, I do have a horse head cookie cutter but then...............I got a little creative with it....
A Pokey cookie!!!
OK, you are probably right, I need to get a life...............I think it's the drugs or the illness I'm getting over!
P.S. the oat flour added a very different and good flavor to the cookies. No, not horse oats either!!!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :-)

3 comments:

Jacque. said...

Jane...that absolutely is the funniest blog post I've read! And, those Pokey cookies...well, I'm just glad I'm not on your Christmas gift list...would hate to eat horse oats. hahaha!!! Sure hope you feel better and stay well!

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Jacque, too funny!!! NOT horse oats, people oats like you make for breadfast! LOL
I'll bet though, Gilly and Pokey would eat the cookies!

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

LOVE the Pokie cookie! Nope, not silly at all... :) And yes, I bet Pokey and Gilly would not turn up their noses!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails